Kids get excited when it comes to learning any activity associated with water. The mere mention of swimming sets them into action and they are always ready to take the splurge. Keeping the fun side apart, swimming is probably one of those healthiest exercises that flex every part of your body. But, you should be well aware of the correct techniques and the safety guidelines pertaining to swimming, before your kids take a plunge into the pool!
Note for Parents: You should be responsible enough to keep an eye on your kids while they learn swimming, even in your home pool. It would also be a joyful experience, when you accompany them to pools. Sending your kids to swimming schools is probably a better idea as they will receive complete guidance over there and they will also learn more quickly.
Ideally, a child should be taught swimming after he completes four years of age. There's no reason to hurry until its extremely urgent. As a parent, you should also be aware of the pool safety measures. Encourage your child to learn swimming and help him as much as possible.
Swimming Tips for You
You should be responsible enough to take care of your own safety during the learning phase. Obey the rules given by your trainer and listen to your parents. And here we are, to help you with some safety tips while swimming.
- Always keep inflatable rubber 'floaties' with you. Float them throughout the pool so that you are able grasp them whenever needed.
- Always ensure the depth of the pool that you will be accessing. Make sure that the pool is not deep enough to drown you.
- If you are planning to take up swimming lessons, then start during summers or winters. Monsoon is not the right time to begin learning swimming.
- Ensure that the pool you go to is equipped with danger alarms and that you know how to operate it.
- Hold your trainer's hand and walk in the water first.
- Make yourself comfortable in the pool environment and make friends with the water!
- Remain close to the sides of the pool initially; don't rush to swim in the center of it.
- Initially you will be asked to kick the water with your legs and gradually you will learn to float your body.
- Make your body light and feel your body float. You need to overcome the fear of drowning, to be able to swim.
- Check the concentration of pool chemicals with your trainer and take protection measures accordingly.
- Try to wear complete swimming costumes and avoid exposing your bare body to the pool water.
- Massage your body with almond or coconut water and moisturize your face before entering the water.
- Learn the breathing mechanisms as taught by your trainer. Expel the water as you tread through and try not to let it enter your nose or mouth.
- Your trainer will help you learn how to maintain a rhythm inside water. Try to grasp the techniques in the best possible way.
- It takes at least 2 months to learn swimming completely. Do not be hasty, rather proceed gradually to attain perfection.
- Wear a swimming cap and goggles while swimming. The goggle will protect your eyes from pool water and simultaneously your hair will also be guarded against the chemicals.
- You should check the temperature of the water. Do not swim in cold water during the winter season as you are more likely to catch cold. Prefer swimming in lukewarm water during winters.
That was a guide to some useful swimming tips for kids. Learning swimming would definitely be an enjoyable experience when you are well aware of the safety guidelines. Be thorough with the basic techniques and cultivate patience to master swimming. Practice it regularly and you will see the difference. The guidelines that we have provided in this article are simple to understand and easy to follow.