Bocce ball is a vintage Italian game that is played with one small ball and eight larger balls. The small ball is called pallino and the big ball is called bocce. To play bocce ball, you have to target the small ball with the large ball. Bocce ball is played in a bocce ball court. Generally the bocce ball court dimensions are 10 to 13 feet wide and 76 to 100 feet long.
How to Build a Bocce Ball Court?
- Select the area you want to build your bocce ball court. With the help of a grass or sod cutter, cut away all the grass. You can also use a shovel, but it will take more time and will also tire you.
- Use a laser level to make sure the area is flat. You don't want your bocce ball on one side of the bocce ball court. Also remove the dirt from the area.
- With a marker or a spray paint mark the four corners of your bocce ball court. You can take the court dimensions to be 34 feet by 6 feet. A backyard bocce ball court can be of any size you want. A regulation size bocce ball court dimensions are about 13 feet by 91 feet.
- You can use a circular or any wood saw to cut 2x6s to the desired frame size.
- Secure the frame by using wood screws and join the 2x6s. Put in 1 inch stakes every 6 feet to keep the frame straight and tough. Take a base rock and bury it about 3 inches deep. Put the base rock in the court area and pack it down by using a compactor.
- The next step is to lay down the decomposed granite. Lock the area which will create a strong surface for bocce balls.
- Make sure the level is flat and recheck the level. If level is too low fill it up with some granite and if the level is high remove the excess granite.
- Buy a bag of oyster shell flour. Apply a thick coat and then graze it until it is smooth. The flour is known to increase the speed of the bocce balls.
Bocce Ball Court Maintenance
- After the game and before watering the court brush it with a drag broom.
- Water the court frequently to keep the court flat and eliminate dust particles.
- Keep rolling the surface whenever required, specially on new made courts. Rolling ensures a firmer and faster court.
- Bosse ball court will develop low areas in certain parts of the ground. This happens due to water accumulation in these areas. Spread Har Tru material in to the low area to get rid of this problem.
- Daily playing will cause some granules and stones to accumulate on the court. These granules can cause bad bounces and create problems while playing. Use flat edge of a lute to scrap the material and remove it.
I hope this article on bocce ball court dimensions has answered all your queries related to bocce ball court designs. Keep playing this fun game with your friends and family and enjoy.